HD Glutathione Promoter / Selenium
Selenium / Glutathione Promoter is designed to boost your immune system defenses by a combination of selenium and select antioxidants to stimulate the increased production of the master antioxidant glutathione. Rather than succumbing meekly to infections, take action to support your immune system’s defenses.
- Selenium strengthens your immune system's response to viruses
- Selenium is a key part of antioxidant enzyme glutathione peroxidase
- Antioxidants supply the immune system much-needed protection during the oxidative stress and excessive free radical damage caused by an acute infection
- N-acetyl L-cysteine supports immune function during infections
- N-acetyl L-cysteine provides direct antioxidant protection
- N-acetyl L-cysteine is also a precursor to glutathione
- Alpha Lipoic Acid provides water and fat-soluble antioxidant protection
- All the ingredients together promote the increased production of the master antioxidant—glutathione
- Selenium in its most bioavailable whole food form provides potent antioxidant protection for life
- Nutritional benefits of this essential mineral are enhanced by the inclusion of organic foods rich in trace minerals
- Easy to digest even on an empty stomach
- Tested FREE of pesticides, herbicides, gluten and soy
Selenium is part of the selenoenzyme glutathione peroxidase, an enzyme that is part of every cell's antioxidant defense system. Glutathione peroxidase detoxifies hydrogen peroxide in the body, converting it into water. Glutathione is used in the process, making oxidized glutathione. However, as you give the body more selenium, more glutathione is produced, so increased activity of glutathione peroxidase lowers the amount of oxidative damage in the cells of the body.
Research has shown selenium supports the immune system's response to viral infections. When children with influenza strain H1N1 were compared to uninfected children, researchers found lower levels of selenium in the blood and lower levels of the antioxidant enzymes glutathione peroxidase 1, glutathione peroxidase 3, superoxide dismutase, catalase, and lower levels of glutathione.1 In an ex vivo experiment neutrophil cells from donors low in glutathione peroxidase activity were tested for bactericidal and phagocytic activity. When the cells were incubated with physiological levels of selenium there was a significant increase in their ability to consume and digest yeast particles and bacteria.2 Selenium given to people infected with HIV improved CD4 positive T-cell counts,3 and in Botswana when selenium was given along with multivitamins the morbidity and negative outcomes from HIV infection were reduced by about 50 percent.4 Selenium has been given orally to Chinese subjects suffering from hemorrhagic fever. Mortality in the most severe cases was reduced from 100% to 36%, and in the less severe cases from 22% to 0%.5
Overall, the evidence indicates that there is a role for selenium in proper immune function.
Watch this Webinar on How You Can Strengthen Your Immune System